Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Mystery

As I walked into the Peet's Cafe the smell of Dickerson coffee was intoxicating. The dark, rich espresso color chairs and tables with the classic music makes the cafe warm and inviting. There was a long line so I decided to use the bathroom. As I was waiting, I heard a little girl making an uncomfortable sound in the bathroom. I waited a bit longer and finally the bathroom door opened. A tall, chubby guy walked out as he held a little girl's hand. The little girl looked scared and insecure. She avoided my eye contact and rubbed her red eyes. I looked at the guy and I did not like what I felt. He went toward another girl who was standing behind me. She looked like the older sister and they all left together. Why didn't the older sister take the little girl to the bathroom? Why did the little girl looked scared? Why was she crying? Was this little girl being molested?
How much of this observation is true and how much of it is fragment of my imagination, remains unknown. However, assuming that this little girl was being molested then can we fairly say that we were born with free will and life is all about choices? Or is our life already pre destined the minute we were born depending which country, what type of family, rich or poor,what religion and culture our parents had? Are we creators of our lives? Is life really all about choices?What kind of relationship will this little girl chose? Will she hate her mother for not protecting her? Will she become a bisexual or a lesbian? Will she hate men? Will she end up committing suicide? Will she murder someone? Will she become a passive wife and end up in the battered women shelter or will she become a prosecutor to put child molesters like her dad behind the bars?
To what extend life is a destiny remains a mystery.

1 Comments:
shady said...
a mystery that will never be solved... u told me once that all people go thru hardship... some decide to survive it and become stronger and some act like a victim to life... i liked ur statement... we should all be survivors... we should 'will'...
10:18 PM
Post a Comment

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait, wait, and wait, now! Don’t jump to any conclusions (this is just another point of view from the left side). I am Persian and I guess I also look Persian to other Persians too and perhaps Middle Eastern to others. My daughter, on the other hand, with blond hair, very light features, doesn’t look any thing like me. Any time, we go shopping or are in the super market, and she decides to act up and be difficult, she always gets her way, because I end up giving in to avoid a conflict. I feel if I act strict or look mean, people will assume I have kidnapped her and will perhaps want to jump in and interfere and or call the police. So, she usually gets her way, just because I don’t want to create an incident.

As far as control over our destiny? I think, our life is a bunch of random incidents, occurrences and accidents, like random beads, become strong together, to create our fate. I don’t think it is as easy as making GOOD choices. Did the scared girl coming out of the bathroom have a choice to make? No, it wasn’t up to her. That incident may destroy her, but she wasn’t in a situation to make a choice or to carve her future. Opera Winfrey was also molested by her uncle, how come that didn’t destroy her? I think, she has a lot to be thankful, but she was just one of the lucky ones.